Malaysia protests Norway's cancellation of missile contract
In a statement, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim criticized Norway for taking back the contract for several sea-skimming Naval Strike Missiles (NSM).
A file photo for a Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile in flight. Photo handout
Manuel Mogato | May 18, 2026
KUALA LUMPUR — Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has strongly protested a Norwegian defense company’s sudden cancellation of the $145 million missile contract after the Nordic government had imposed restrictions on defense equipment exports.
In a statement, Anwar criticized Norway for taking back the contract for several sea-skimming Naval Strike Missiles (NSM).
“Signed contracts are solemn instruments,” Anwar said in shared social media posts. “They are not confetti to be scattered in so capricious a manner.”
Anwar said he has called up Norway’s Prime Minister, Jonas Gahr Støre, to express Malaysia’s “vehement objection” to Oslo’s unilateral decision to revoke the export license.
“If European defense suppliers reserve the right to renege with impunity, their value as strategic partners flies out the window,” Anwar said.
Norway’s decision, according to Malaysian defense officials, will have grave consequences for Kuala Lumpur’s operational readiness and the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program.
The Naval Strike Missile (NSM) launch system is a ship-mounted weapon deployed by some Western states, including Australia, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, the UK and the U.S.
The NSM has a shore-launched variant that Poland and Romania use. The US Marine Corps also has a similar system as part of the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System, or NMESIS.
Malaysia learned of the contract cancellation last month after Kongsberg, a Norwegian defense contractor, invoked a “force majeure” on the missile sale.
Malaysia has already paid 95 percent of the $145 million anti-ship deal, signed in 2018. The Naval Strike Missile will be installed on six Maharaja Lela-class Littoral Combat Ships.
Last year, Malaysia had agreed to another $11.19 million contract for NSM launchers to be installed on the Royal Malaysian Navy’s two in-service Lekiu-class frigates.
Malaysian Defense Minister Khaled Nordin said a Norwegian delegation informed him about the new restrictions on arms exports.
Norway was prohibited from exporting the weapons systems to non-NATO and NATO-partner nations. Malaysia is not a member of NATO.
Malaysia’s defense officials said they would exhaust diplomatic channels to discuss next steps to preserve national interests, including a refund.
There were speculations that Norway’s revocation of the contract may be related to the US-made gyroscope component.
Kongberg is scheduled to deliver in early March 2026, but Malaysia was informed of unspecified delays.




