Philippines rejects China’s protest on construction activities in South China Sea
Defense department spokesman Arsenio Andolong said China’s claim of having indisputable sovereignty over these features lacks legal basis under international law.
Philippine Navy officers aboard BRP Gregorio Del Pilar (PS15) render passing honors to the USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) during the 3rd AFP-USINDOPACOM Maritime Cooperative Activity in the West Philippine Sea last February 9, 2024. Photo from Western Command.
Joe M. Reyes | May 21, 2026
MANILA — Philippine defense and military officials dismissed China’s protest on construction activities on South China Sea features.
In a statement, defense department spokesman Arsenio Andolong said the features form part of the Kalayaan Island Group which is being administered by the Philippines as the municipality of Kalayaan in Palawan. (Also read: Chinese warship fires flares as Philippine Coast Guard plane patrols in disputed sea)
“The legitimate exercise of Philippine authority in these areas, including the conduct of improvement and development activities, is intended to support the welfare, safety, and livelihood of Filipinos residing and working therein,” said Andolong.
Andolong was reacting to a statement made by the China’s Ministry of National Defense, spokesman Jiang Bin opposing the Philippine construction activities on several features in the South China Sea. (Also read: Philippines rejects China’s sovereignty claim on West Philippine Sea)
Jiang said China “firmly opposes construction activities by the Philippine side on all illegally occupied Chinese islands and reefs, including Pag-asa Island and Lawak Island.”
Jiang vowed China would take necessary measures to safeguard its rights and interests in the area.
Andolong said China’s claim of having indisputable sovereignty over these features lacks legal basis under international law.
He said the 2016 Arbitral Award had invalidated China’s excessive claim in the South China Sea, including the West Philippine Sea. (Also read: Navy rejects maritime cooperation with China)
Andolong said the award “remains final and legally binding on the parties”, noting that Philippines and China are both parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
“The tribunal likewise found that China’s large-scale land reclamation and construction activities on several features at the South China Sea caused severe harm to the marine environment and that certain Chinese actions unlawfully interfered with the Philippines’ exercise of sovereign rights within its Exclusive Economic Zone,” said Andolong.
He said China’s “continued interference with lawful Philippine activities”, including at Scarborough Shoal, “undermines regional stability and the rules-based international order.”
China gained control of the shoal, some 124 nautical miles from mainland Zambales, in 2012 after a standoff with Philippine government vessels. Since then, China has prevented Filipinos from fishing inside the shoal’s lagoon.
“The Department of National Defense remains steadfast in safeguarding Philippine territory, sovereign rights, and jurisdiction in the West Philippine Sea, in accordance with international law and in pursuit of a peaceful, stable, and rules-based maritime domain,” said Andolong.
For his part, retired Rear Admiral Roy Vincent Trinidad, the military’s spokesman for the West Philippine Sea, justified the constructions, noting that Philippines has “absolute sovereignty and jurisdiction” over these features.
“Any repair, construction, enhancement or development that we do on these features is well within our legal rights...We do not need to seek the permission of any country, more so one that has illegally intruded into and continues to be in our maritime zones,” said Trinidad.


